Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Knowing nothing about fixed blade knives except having 2 3.5 inch blade deer cleaning knives what is up with the TDI and is half moon looking shape? I guess I am ignorant in the area of self defense with a knife and wonder how the TDI knife shape facilitates this activity?

You're less likely to lose your grip or hurt your wrist when you're driving it into a human body. It's a more natural movement, kind of like punching.

You know, for all those times you have to stab somebody to death.

Yeah. That was the concept the Ka-Bar guys brought it out with. I bought mine at a LE conference about 15 years ago, at which time they recommended mounting the knife inside your pants belt on the non-gun side behind your magazine carrier on your duty belt. That way you could reach it with your off hand if you were grappling with a bad guy who's trying to get your gun out of your strong hand. The tactic they demo'd with training knives was to draw the TDI with the left hand, insert the blade into your opponent's forearm at or above the wrist, and then rip it back toward the elbow.

But you could also use it in your fist in a series of short, sharp stabbing motions, a la Pulp Fiction, as Travis has suggested. I expect that works pretty well too, and doesn't require a whole lot of thinking about it.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars