Originally Posted by dodgefan
As soon as I get enough hardware scrounged up I plan on doing a ground up Linux build. I checked out the Build From Scratch site and it looks like an interesting project.

I don't want to do it on this computer. It's set up and running good so I'll leave it alone except for playing with Wine and some audio programs.

I never had much luck with Wine but it's been decades since I tried to use it. It's probably miles ahead of what it was. I was using VMWare for quite a while, but they're not free and when they stopped supporting older hardware I switched to VirtualBox. It's free and supports older hardware. You don't have to re-install Linux to try VirtualBox. It's probably comes with most distributions. Install the package and all its dependencies, create a virtual machine and install Window on it. I was shocked at how much easier it was to use compared to VMWorkstation and free to boot. If you don't like it, just delete the virtual machine and VirtualBox and you're back where you started.

Back in the day, Wine was an emulator for the old windows operating system. I've had better luck with dosbox for use with my old games. That's right: Linux for the serious stuff and M$ (or the free equivalent) for the toys.

Here's a screenshot of Linux hosting Window 7 via VirtualBox and running a DOS game in dosbox. [Linked Image]