Originally Posted by dan_oz
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Dan_oz,
Granted we are probably talking about which angels dance bestd...

How do you say bluing creates a magnetic field? How would such a field, if it existed, "amplify the Magnetospeed field"?

Assuming the bluing has some small magnetic properties.. The fields of two magnets may reinforce, or partially cancel, depending on polarity orientation, etc.

If it is another force on the projectile than it might act similar to gravity in spindrift..
What force is created? In which direction does it act? Where does the energy come from?

Still talking about possible magnetic, or current here. The direction is probably unknowable w/o serious instrumentation.

Like someone else said an interesting experiment..

Particle accelerators use magnetic fields to steer an...e magnetic steering force...

What you are talking about is effectively a rail gun, or coil gun. You need to pump in considerable amounts of electrical energy to create a strong enough field to make them accelerate projectiles, as well as supplying this energy in a particularly specific way. Where does the energy come from to create a strong enough magnetic field to accelerate projectiles to any noticeable or measurable degree in your blued rifle?

Edit. This didn't come out right by by responding to each q...
Q1
Assuming that the bluing has some magnetic properties, two magnets in close proximity will constructively, or destructively interfere...

Q2
Still talking about a magnetic or current induced force here. The direction of which is probably unknowable without serious high quality instrumentation.

Q3
Except my assumption is that the force is probably not co linear with the velocity of the projectile. My thoughts tend to be that it is temporary (not constant like gravity) possibly somewhat lateral push on a spinning object. Producing the "push on a spinning toy top" analogy.....

My general interest on reading that bluing was essentially magnetite is that we might better understand the "why" of the observed group spread when using the Magnetospeed. Something to test if a gunwriter (or someone else) as a slow month and access to the right equipment.
I fear that I have distracted the OPs focus of the thread (bluing thickness) though. Which was unintentional. Just an "oh wow, that's interesting" kind of thing related to bluing.

Thanks for making me think more about the forces involved....

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 01/19/20. Reason: Multi-quote issues

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.