I would have to agree with Mule Deer. You are creating MORE contact... more drag... but we are talking a very LITTLE bit. I took a 1 night a week gun course in Burlington, Iowa for a couple of years. This was a night course and really had NOTHING to do with the full time day course. The day instructor was one of the finest gun smiths and was in a lot of the gunsmith guild builds... but said he would rather go fishing... The bore was not plugged at bluing. One of the know it all students decided he knew more than anyone else and plugged a bore which blew out and sprayed it all over the place. No one plugged the bore after that. Story I got was the bluing penetrates about 1K of an inch and builds less. About first shots cleaned it all out. We would use wire and make hooks to hang the barrels from. I was about the last guy to the tanks one night an the bluing level was a little low. Not wanting to add water and have to wait till the temp came back up I tried to wiggle the support rods for a little more "DUNK" and stuck my fingers in the bluing... just about half way. YA, IT BURNED>>> BAD ! The guys made fun of me and said my hands my hands were made of cast iron as they turned red and not black. Under running water you could pour the skin on my fingers back and forth.
These discussions are fun but in the end matter way too little that we will ever notice. Ray