Originally Posted by Youper

Interesting. I've only shot black bear with my 350 Rem Mag. After a couple of poor results with the 200 gr. Hornady SP I thought that maybe that bullet/cartridge combination would work well on deer. It lacked the penetration on black bear that I was looking for.

It was you guys (the 24HCF collective) that put me up to it. Back around 2005, y'all got me cranked up on the idea of a 358 WIN. KYHillChick was looking for an appropriate St. Hubert's Day gift and there was this Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen in the Classifieds, and . . .

. . . I believe in starting with the cheapest bullet that will fill the bill and working up from there. That was the 200 grain REM PSPCL. I had a bunch of H4895. Blah, blah, blah. I took the rifle out for the KY Rifle Opener. The result was this:

Hubert D Buck Meets Mr Whelen

When I reported the results to this august body, y'all suggested that the problem might be bullet toughness. Before my next trip out, I switched to the 200 grain SPCL's, and the next decade went by without serious incident. So began the tenure of The Whelenizer.

One thing is for certain: Hubert D. Buck or "05B" as he came to be known, by the large volume of venison grind in our freezer, ended up the absolute most memorable buck our family ever had. You could always tell when 05B was in the Who Hash. It took a good 3 years before we used him all up. Walking around on 3 legs all that time gave the meat a distinctive flavor.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer