In the beginning, there was the .357 Super Mag, cobbled together by welding .357 S&W Magnum cases together to obtain a longer case. Then when Elgin Gates and his IHMSA partners wanted to bring it to market, somebody discovered that the "Magnum" label was trademarked by S&W. So the change was made to .357 Maximum by Remington to manufacture commercial cases. At the time there was a complete line of Super Mag cartridges including the .357 Maximum and 375 Super Mag, both of which I shot in IHMSA competition. My Ruger Blackhawk .357 Maxium 10" barreled Silhouette Model is one of the most accurate revolvers I have in my collection, capable of 0.75" 10 shot groups @ 50 yards with factory sights. People complained that the top strap of the revolver was eroded by flame cutting at the barrel/cylinder gap, but that erosion stopped well before it became a problem. It was cosmetic, but gun writers of the time killed the Ruger.

Federal also produced cases for the .357 Maximum, with the Ram logo of IHMSA, one of which is shown below:

[Linked Image from i274.photobucket.com]

I too would like to find a rifle chambered for the .357 Maximum, although in a lever action rifle. I bought a supply of Starline brass, just in case somebody figures how to adapt it in a custom rifle. Meanwhile, I'll have brass to load up rounds for the Ruger, with 180 -200 grain bullets driven by a charge of AA-1680 powder, a near identical replacement for discontinued Winchester 680, which proved to be the most accurate propellant in my revolver. While it was a niche cartridge, it is still useful and, for whatever reason, attractive to us old guys seeking nostalgia.