Originally Posted by Jason280
I'm looking to put together a rifle for my 11yr old to hunt with next year, and leaning heavily towards either a .257 Roberts or 6.5x55. I like the prospect of using the 6.5x55, simply because I already have a rifle in the cartridge and another rifle in .260...so bullets aren't a problem. Factory 6.5x55 ammo is cheaper, especially the Prvi stuff, and seems like the 6.5x55 would be a tad bit more versatile.

I have nothing in .257, so it would mean buying dies, brass, bullets, etc. Any reason to go with the .257, other than the fact I really want one? wink

No. And my favorite rifle is my .257 Roberts.

The reason I say "No" is a 6.5 CM or x55 or x57 or .260 will do everything a .257 will do, and then some - so you are already covered as far as performance. A 6.5 Creedmoor is the way I would (and did) go. Better bullet options than a .257 diameter for reloaders and even cheaper ammo than the 6.5x55.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.