Originally Posted by MadMooner
How much oil leaked out of the bad seal? Run dry and get hot?

May not be the techs fault.

That's what I'm wondering. Their story is the bearing was probably dry, or had gotten dry maybe. But why would it only fail after they put a new seal in if everything was done correctly? I've no idea how bad the seal was. I've gone through similar things with the dealership before. I take it in, and somebody looks at who doesn't know I have a lifetime warranty. They recommend new this or that. I say sure, do it. Then they present me with a bill afterward and I tell them nope, it'll be $100. But it seems when I get someone who has seen my truck before, it's bare minimum effort because they know it's only warranty work.

My first thought was like most of you guys, they fugged it up. But having not replaced the pinion seal before I didn't want to make a fool of myself. smile

ha, forgot to add the tow truck driver told me last summer he towed a guy for the same thing, from the same dealership. Apparently they didn't put oil back in the diff after replacing the seal. Said that guy didn't make it as far as I did before his locked up.

I was blocking a full lane on a narrow part of the road, so after guiding traffic around me so I wasn't holding anybody up I put her in 4wd and crawled to the closest parking lot. The sounds from that pumpkin were awful. My axle is getting rebuilt as I guess it was quite a mess in there. wink

I just hope the strain on my u-joints and transfer case doesn't cause problems later.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 01/22/20.

MAGA