Originally Posted by badger

Were it me, I'd be wanting a replacement differential I wouldn't trust anyone there to rebuild the old one.

Originally Posted by ajmorell

That was my exact thought. Probably didn't mark the nut before removing it and just used an impact to torque the fugger back on. If that's the case I'd push to have the diff entirely rebuilt or replaced as that'd also screw the mesh on the ring and pinion and they may be compromised as well.

Not sure what all is being done, but when the bearing failed it dropped pieces into the gears and stopped the truck just as fast as if I'd hit a tree. Glad I was only doing 20 in town. It that would've happened at highway speed on a winter road I might not be typing this. It was probably another 1/2 mile I drove it after getting it moving. Last I talked to them it was going to be a whole new differential. With the amount of violence that went on inside that pumpkin I'd imagine it all needs replaced. If I hadn't been so damned mad about it I'd have stuck around to watch them pull the cover off and see it. Not sure the difference between a new diff and a rebuilt one.

It is a fortunate thing for them and I that they were closed when it nuked on me.

Upshot, is I'm driving a new "Blazer" in the interim. would be kinda neat on dry pavement but it sucks in a couple inches of slush or snow. Not worthy of the moniker.

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 01/22/20.

MAGA