Originally Posted by Tannhauser
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Had one Leupold with a green dot. Agree that the way they work is spot-on, and the light was usable under all legal conditions here.

I currently have four Hawkes that work well, but are definitely not daylight bright. On the other hand, they don't overwhelm the view under conditions where they are most useful either. You do have to remember to turn these off, or invest in a bunch of batteries.

If given a choice, I'd go with green every time.

I also have Hawke scopes and a Leupold Firedot.

I have three Hawke scopes, and the glass quality is competitive with other good optics sold in a similar price range. Illumination on the Hawke’s is not daylight bright, unlike the Leupold Firedot.

I also don’t like the Hawke rheostat control. They advertise this as providing infinite control, but in practice I’d much rather have distinct steps with off options in between, I.e. 1, off, 2, off, 3, off..

Really depends on how important daylight bright is to you. ,

The rheostat is okay, but lacks the auto-on/off of the Leupold system. While the daylight-bright Leupold dot is handy as it draws the eye to the aiming point, but for what they cost, the Hawkes work well and as I said before, working well in dim light is the most important part for me. Others who shoot in the dark seem to complain more about lit reticles being too bright than anything else.

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/23/20.

What fresh Hell is this?