Originally Posted by Hoarsecock
Hi everyone.
I’m down to only owning one hunting rifle to do it all for the foreseeable future.
My rifle is a small ring 7x57 it shoots 160gr bullets into a half inch all day long.

I do hunt mule deer and elk on the prairie quite often where shots can be as far as 400m.
270 country in other words.

For those occasions I’d like to develop a load using 140gr bullets,the old 160gr load at 2550fps may just not be quite as flat shooting as a 140gr load at 2800FPS.

My rifle never shot 150grain bullets well so I doubt that it’s going to shoot 140gr bullets any better.

My question is this:
Are there any tricks to getting a rifle with a twist/long throat that shoots heavy bullets to shoot lighter weight bullets?

Would a 140gr tsx for example shoot well given that the bullet shank is quite long for its weight?

Thanks

If your really shooting at 400 yds, it won't make a difference which bullet you use so long as you place it well. The bullet is not the secrete, it's the shot that count's! Can you hit a mule deer or elk well at 400 yds from a field position? In my old 7x57's I used 154gr Hornady RN bullet's and was never left wanting. I believe if I as you I'd opt for either the Hornady bullet or the 160gr Speer hot core. Bullet's don't kill thing's because of how fast they go, they kill things from being placed right. And using a lighter faster bullet is not going to overcome hold over for you, it will just change it. You up to it?