IIRC, Jack O'Connor and his wife were both big fans of the 160 gr. Speer at roughly 2600 FPS from the 7x57. His wife took probably 98% of all her big game with that load and only going to the 30-06 for a very few species one of which was elephant. I believe she also used the 06 for lion and tiger but don't think she used it for anything else.

I've hunted out west all my life and one of my favorites was the old 6.5x54 M/S in the 1903 M/S carbine. A 160 gr. bullet at 2200 FPS and I easily took deer at 200 yards. Frankly, I don't like long range shots if I can help it. One Mule Deer with a .308 Win.at 426 paces, one cow elk at 530 yards with a .300 Win. Mag. and one cow elk at 350 yards with a .35 Whelen. The last two were laser measured.

I've taken Mule Deer as close as six feet twice, but most at from 35 yards to about 200 yard. Most of my elk have been from 75 yards to maybe 250 yards, all shot would have been easy with the 7x57 and a 160 gr. bullet. I'm not all that great a stalker to be honest and of those two 6 foot deer one thought it could hide until I stepped on it and the other came running right past me never even knowing I was there.

My one antelope was shot at 75 yards as estimated by my guide. Stalk was easy as the rut hadn't started and the goats weren't all herded up.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE