Originally Posted by Woodhits
Here's a bit more detail about that I liked about the rifle.

-For starters, the ergonomics were excellent-- controls were in all the right places. In a week's worth of hunting, I never had to think about anything other than making the shot, despite the rifle being relatively new for me.

-The recoil reduction feature in the stock actually works, my rifle was chambered in 30-06 and it recoiled more like a 7mm-08.

-I think we had eight rifles on the trip, all with Steiner H4Xi 3-12x56mm scopes. After 48 hours of road and air travel, every one of the rifles/scopes maintained their zeros from the U.S. That impressed me. All the rifles shot sub-MOA.

-The bolt body is relieved at the rear to allow the magazine to sit higher in the receiver, making the whole thing more compact. The shooter can load the DBM from the ejection port, just as one would an internal magazine; nice for adding ammo on the move when following-up an animal.

-We used Hornady Outfitter 180-grain GMX loads, these were absolute hammers. We shot everything from impala to roan, from 30 or so to 400 yards and every bullet recovered looked like it came out of an ad.

Like I said, not my up of tea in terms of appearance but the rifle really grew on me as I used it.

Being a Benelli Slut I would like to try one out. That said I am not crazy about the R1, I like this design more then the R1.