You didn't miss it. I didn't post on it this year. I just figured that after so many years of posting that people were getting tired of it. Actually, this year was the BEST ever. But let me start here. In 2018 our guide, Stephanne, who we had every year since 2004 committed suicide. It was devastating to us. I once told him I wished he were my son. At any rate, this year, 2019, I was met at the airport by this small framed young man, 24, and he introduced himself as our guide. I can't begin to tell you how skeptical I was. Actually he turned out to be the most fun person for a guide you could hope for. He outdid himself trying to please There was LOTS of snow. Some places there was almost 3 FEET of it. The only disappointment this year was the food. Oh, it was OK, but nowhere near as good as it has been in the past. The cook was new and the first night, before dinner he announced himself as being the best in the world. He was going to prepare meals like we have never seen before. It was ALL gourmet style and we are just plain meat and potatoes folks.

But to get to the hunting itself. As usual I hunted with a Savage 99. This year as last, it was with a 99 EG topped with a Ziess. My wife hunted with her tried and true Ruger American in 7mm-08.

On the first morning I shot a nice spike, BY CHOICE. My philosophy has changed as I age, now 75. And I happen to love to eat deer meat. Also on the first morning my wife shot a nice fat 100 pound doe.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

On day 2, we both saw deer but nothing to shoot at.

Day 3 my wife was sick so she slept in. About 10AM the guide drove past my stand on his 4 wheeler. He said he was going back to the lodge to see if Nan was OK. An hour or so later he came back and Nan was on her machine. It had snowed hard during the night but it was now near noon and the snow had let up. Off they went. At 1PM I was on foot in a swamp when I heard a shot. Nan had shot a nice 5 pointer almost 4 MILES from me and she couldn't believe I heard the shot. Today all I was were deer that saw me first. Nothing for me

Day 4 came and again it snowed all night. The guide said he was taking me to the high country. Nan came out just to be out. She had both her deer. We had driven in 4 wheel drive for over an hour when a nice buck crossed the road. I got out with rifle in hand but didn't take a shot. We continued up and this is what we saw.. It was drop dead breath taking but NO DEER or tracks. Road became impassable even with 4 wheel drive

On the way back, he dropped me at on of my favorite tree stands and after about 3 hours of sitting, the SAME buck I saw earlier crossed. This time he didn't make it.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5