My first predator call was the old green and black Olt. The whole concept of blowing on a call and it would make fox and bobcat and coyote come to you fascinated me. I tried and tried and tried with that Olt. I didn't limit myself to the Olt. I bought other calls as I saw them, and kept trying.

The first success came backhanded, almost by accident. It wasn't even hunting season, I was out of state at my parents' property in N.C. I threw on some drab clothes, went about 50 yds uphill behind the trailer. The foliage was so thick that it was out of sight...barely.

I started blowing on one of those orangey Burnham Bros. long range calls. I wasn't really expecting much, as per the past. Imagine my surprise when a nice fox came charging in! The quarters were close, heavy brush, so as soon as it showed up I quit blowing. It looked around for the free meal but couldn't find it. After a minute or two, it departed. I wasn't done quite yet. I also had a Burnham Bros. close range call. I started blowing that close range call and that fox came right back to me!

Since then I've call in coyotes, more foxes, deer, raccoons, hawks, etc. That's the best part of predator calling...you just never know what's going to come!

Now I use a FoxPro FX-3 and Sceery cottontail and coaxer calls. I also have some others, Primos, etc. that I monkey with . I love the Randy Anderson videos! I prefer closed reed calls but have several crit'r calls, a psycho tweety, and others.

I keep hearing about these Carver calls. I may have to give on a try.

I've been busy dealing the last month with my 95 year old father, but I may try to get off calling for a few days next month during small game season up in the national forest.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~