I wasn't into hunting elephant either until visiting Namibia, and seeing first hand the overpopulation of elephants just across the border in Botswana and the great harm they are doing to the environment. When there are too many elephants they eat everything in sight, and make it difficult for every other species of wildlife, and for the local people who have to live with them. Even baobab trees hundreds of years old are not safe. They strip bark off or push the smaller trees over, and land for many kilometres around permanent water holes is being deforested. Elephants have no natural predators. So people have to step up. And they are good to eat. The local people greatly appreciate the meat from a shot elephant. It is nutritious and it helps compensate for some destroyed crops. Seeing how happy the locals are with some free meat makes me feel good about providing some for them. And I would feel good about helping in a small way to bring the elephant population a little closer to the sustainable carrying capacity of the land. And.. it will be fun.

Last edited by castnblast; 01/28/20.