Originally Posted by Clarkm
25 years ago I went to the pawn shops every week while on lunch break, shopping for used guns.

I made a lot of offers.
After a while I had their policy mapped out.
If they ask the boss, the answer is no.
There is an offer they will accept.

A pawn shop in Bothell would take 10% off any gun not on consignment.

A pawn shop in Lynnwood would take 25% off any gun that I could point out something wrong with it.

A gun store in Lynnwood, where I was making offers to the owner, there was no predicting what he would take. Sometimes 0%, sometimes up to 25%.

The key is that employees have been told what offer to take as a percentage.

Did you ever just pay what they were asking or are you that guy? The one that never pays whatever they're asking, no matter how fair?

I made an offer just a little under the asking price on a scoped rifle once, like $20 less than asking price, and the guy was so insulted he grabbed it off the shelf and was headed to the back room with it. Whoa whoa whoa, that's fine, I'll pay that!

On the other side, did a job for a German woman once. $4750 was what we verbally agreed on. No contract. When I got done, she said, "I never pay full price for anything", and handed me a check for $4600. I've dealt with German women before and I padded the bill in case. Good thing. When she called to have me back I ignored her calls.

Don't be that guy, it is not to your advantage in the long run.

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/28/20.

LOL