Armednfree - I started my hunting with the 7x57 Mauser in 1962. Bought a mil version Chilean M95 through the mail from Sears for about $14 and converted it - slowly and amateurishly - to a hunting rifle. The only commercial ammo I could find then was 175 grain round nose stuff. Started reloading and found that the 140 grain was just about perfect for deer and downward and the 160 grain (or a bit more) was great for elk and bear. Shot a bunch of those species with that 7x57 for about 20 years until I got a few more dollars and branched out some. Still have that rifle - always will.

Due to cautions stated to me way back then, I was somewhat careful about pressure in the M95 but, with later 7x57s in different actions, I loaded up fairly hot. Can't think of any game in the East that it would not easily slay when properly loaded - am thinking the biggest thing you would hunt would be moose up in Maine, etc. and they are not all that difficult to kill with good shooting.

Some reloading "experts" have heavy head knowledge - often impressive - but some have opinions worth a lot less than the info they know.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron