Originally Posted by peterthomas
Modern Hawkeye actions are pretty gritty but I consider this a non-issue considering that they smooth out after cycling the bolt a few hundred times. I can only assume the people that complain about them don’t shoot their guns much.
I also hate the stock spacers but I really just hate the look and not the spacers themselves.
It does point well and comes up lightning fast if you’re willing to try a shorter LOP. Remove the brake/barrel weight and replace it with the thread protector to save a couple ounces off the end.
What caliber are you looking at?

I second everything said above. I owned one for a few years as my primary hunting rifle and it was mostly perfect for me. As a left hand shooter, seeking a powerful medium bore (375 Ruger), semi lightweight, compact length, accurate enough, bad weather rifle on a budget, it was my best option out there. If one or more of those weren't of concern, there are probably better options out there for you.

I only sold mine because I came across a good deal on an FTW version with 2" more barrel and a few ounces lighter. I polished the trigger up a bit on the Guide Gun and when I tried the new FTW trigger, I was reminded of just how much better and how easily the Hawkeye's trigger can be improved. It makes me wonder why they don't spend the extra 10 minutes (or less?) it would take to smooth it at the factory. After an hour (for me) to carefully polish with 2000 grit sandpaper and a Dremel polishing bit the FTW is cycling very near to my Tikka.