Originally Posted by brno284
That screw is for firing pin protrusion and not tension. While it may work that is generally not the root of the problem. Order a replacement higher energy spring from Wolff springs and the problem will be solved. I have had to replace around 20 of the factory springs with the Wolff ones and have had no further issues. They can be purchased directly from Wolff.

Here is the part number- 65840 KIMBER 84 BLITZ STRIKER SPRING 40 LB 8.29

This isn’t an argument, but it is an honest question, because I can’t find the answer.

Why is this bolt designed to adjust pin protrusion? Why is this necessary?
In order to adjust for pin protrusion, the firing pin travel has to be stopped by the cocking piece hitting the bolt body. If I adjust the firing pin to max protrusion, the pin travel will be stopped when the firing pin shoulder bottoms out on the inside of the bolt body. My current two 84M’s have a max protrusion of approx .055” once the pin shoulder is stopping the travel. I can increase the tension on the spring by adjusting a little more.
The remington 7/700 I’ve owned seem to have a fixed pin protrusion of .052” - .055” and they bottom out on the firing pin shoulder.

Mechanically it makes sense to me to have a fixed pin protrusion, but be able to adjust tension on the spring to deal with variations in spring tensions. It seems like it would be easier to manufacture firing pins to a tight tolerance to meet a fixed protrusion, and there doesn’t seem to be a concern for adjusting for firing pin wear.
I would think the springs would be harder to hold a tight tolerance and they can weaken with age and use.

Does Kimber recommend a different protrusion measurement based on cartridge?

Last edited by mod7rem; 02/02/20.