Originally Posted by johnw
Left home for a brief road trip Friday afternoon. Have been in Orange Beach AL for about 48 hours now. We’re enjoying the nice weather,and beaches. Walking more than I have in months.

We met another couple from Ocean Springs, MS on the beach yesterday. We struck up a conversation about their cool electric driven bicycles, and the talk wandered into beaches,the water,and seafood.

They explained the differences between varieties of shrimp. Cool facts, but I’m not fussy about my shrimp as long as they are hot and plentiful.

They also claimed that the oysters were shipped in, as there is no longer an oyster industry anywhere in the gulf. They claimed that the Deep Water Horizon disaster wiped out almost all of the oysters and a large part of the crab population.

They talked about dead dolphins and sea turtles in large numbers.

They painted a pretty bleak picture of the gulf, with the 2010 oil spill and even floodwater releases by the Corp of Engineers as major destruction events for marine life.

Looking to the ‘fire for information here.
Is the gulf dead or dying? Likely to recover?

Writing this from the balcony outside our room, 3rd floor, Sleep Inn, Orange Beach AL

They are enviro-nazis pulling your leg. The Gulf and estuaries fully recovered. The famous Apalachicola oyster industry, in the Florida Panhandle, was damaged and flooded out by a hurricane. Had nothing to do with the oil leak. The Louisiana crab, shrimp and oyster industry recovered almost immediately and is thriving.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee