Originally Posted by RyanTX
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
This weekend is the 1827 Militia Muster at San Felipe State Historic Site just outside Sealy Tx. Event centers around the muster of local militia (in accordance with the constitution of Mexico and obligations in the land grant agreement) to assist federal troops when necessary. This weekend will center around the militia preparing to assist troops with quelling the Fredonian rebellion at Nacogdoches.

I am to give a short talk on hunting that went on in the colony and the typical firearms that might have been used by the colonist. Nothing academic or fancy.

That sounds really cool Kaywoodie. Do y'all re-enact different events through the year or just this one?

Yes. We have different events throughout the year. Texas Historical Commission is dropping a big hunk of change on reconstructing a period correct (and ADA compliant 😁) city block of San Felipe to be ready by Stephen Austin’s birthday weekend Nov. 2021. San Felipe was never really rebuilt after it was entirely burned to the ground during the runaway scrape in ‘36. Last November they started on the pit saw which is going to be real cool. Using local post oak timbers for it’s construction.

You can follow the progress on the historic sites public facebook page. Don’t gotta be on facebook to see it. I generally divide my time between San Felipe and Presidio La Bahia (Goliad) when I can. Nice stone presidio to stay in at La Bahia! 😉 Neither are that far for me to drive.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/07/20.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS