Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
ruraldoc,

I suspect the accuracy edge you see in .280s is due to a small sample. I have owned a bunch of each and both cartridges have been extremely accurate in some--including a Model 78 Remington .270, the "cheap" birch-stocke 1d version they no longer offer.

As noted earlier, killed enough big game with the .280 during the 1990s (and the .270 from 1974 on) to know the theoretical killing-power advantages are just that. But rifle loonies often believe very firmly in small "paper" advantages.

If I feel the actual need for more than a .270 on big game, I tend to jump quite a bit beyond the .280, to a "medium bore."

Me too MD, and if I want to shoot 175-180 grain bullets I'll go to my ,30-06 or my .300 WBY or go to a 7 Mag. Yeah, I know, the .280 doesn't give up much to a 7 Mag, Well it does with 175 grain and heavier bullets. In the .270-.280 class, I don't need that heavy a bullet for hunting. And as far as all that BC, part of the gain is overridden by the heavier bullet's Velocity loss penalty especially at those longer ranges. I limit myself to 400-500 yards on game. On paper, no big deal, but I don't do a lot of paper punching. I'm a hunter.

I always got a kick out of the guys who would try to convince you of the superiority of the 280 over the 270, but then use the reverse argument when comparing it to the seven Mag. People are funny sometimes... 😁