Originally Posted by vapodog
I have a very sweet 6mm Remington that I built on a VZ-24 action.....it just happened to shoot 55 grain BTs into extremely fine groups and at 4,000 FPS and I kept it as a coyote dispenser.

As it turned out a friend bought his 10 year old son along with him and wanted to hunt deer and I lent him my 6 mm as I also had a bunch of Hornady interlocks in 100 grain BTSP.....however the youngster mixed up the ammo and shot four mule deer and whitetails with the 55 grainers.....four shots and four dead deer and at ranges to 350 yards.....all were instantaneous bang/flops.....When I discovered what was happening, I couldn't believe what I was seeing.....those varmint bullets were never meant for deer hunting, yet they did a magnificent job.

For next year I'm going to load 80 grain TTSXs to see how they work......but after seeing the 55 grainers work, I'm now thinking that absolutely anything at that velocity is a deer killing marvel.....

be your own judge.

BTW: the powder used was H-414

Can I ask what state you were hunting in? 4 deer tags in a season is awesome. Pretty much one deer a season here in Idaho. Might be worth an out of state license.

Perry