I've always thought that planes like the Super Tucano were purpose-built for low-rent, banana republic, backwater countries that don't have the GDP to afford anything better or the ability and need to project force very far outside their borders.

Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Between the A-10 and the Apache, not much need for anything new. Got us a low and slow bombproof fixed wing gun and bomb platform, and an agile rotary platform for gun and missiles, so what more is needed? I suspect very little that the drone fleet can’t handle. And anything that makes a Warthog or an Apache obsolete will sure as hell negate the fast movers from any close support role, too. They aren’t worth much in that role right now. This is what happens when you have generals with too much money and a slew of companies wanting it.

I suspect the next big war will start with jet fighters and aircraft carriers, but find those platforms totally obsolete by its end. God only knows what will replace them. I just hope it’s not sticks and stones.

That's when Space Force will nuke the problem from orbit. The sticks and stones war will come after that.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z