Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Does anyone care what FugStick does with it? I don't.

While you may not care and some don’t like his presentation, the dude shoots, a bunch. I’ve never seen him steer anyone wrong when it comes to loading info. Some of us like to go shoot and kill stuff and some guys like to follow a guy around on the net and talk schit. He’s helped me with every question I’ve asked and I can leave it at that.

While you are mostly right, there is a problem with Lever for 75gr 223 making ARs overgassed. It does work well if the rifle is tuned for it, but a 5.56 AR tuned correctly for Lever won't cycle with a lot of other powders like 8208, Varget, etc. The same rifle tuned for those powders will shoot but is severely overgassed with a full load of Lever; in my experience enough to cause severe case head swipes and early unlocking, along with extra wear and tear on the rifle's operating system. If you don't reload that brass maybe you aren't noticing those issues.

FWIW I do use Lever in a handful of different AR cartridges and am not arguing against using it, but pointing out an issue that is ignored by certain people.

Very interesting.

Do you think LVR is more pregressive burning, having higher pressure down the tube than conventional powder?

Any thoughts on what's going on there?

DF

Yes, that's a good way to put it DF.

My best understanding of it is that they were able to make a slow burn rate powder denser, so that you can get enough in the case to boost velocity higher. Doing that results in spreading out the pressure curve longer (we can get more velocity with the same peak pressure if that peak is more like a gentle curve than a sharp spike). In turn, that results in higher pressure at the gas port, which functionally translates as "Lever produces more gas" and makes an AR cycle harder and faster than other common powders for the same application. If you add a suppressor in the mix, as more and more of us are doing these days, the problem gets even worse.

In a bolt or lever action the overgassed condition doesn't matter at all of course even if it's used with a suppressor, other than being a little louder.

I do have a couple favorite loads in other cartridges that use Lever because nothing else is as good. 129gr ABLR in my 6.5 Grendel is one example, and the 40gr V-Max in 20 Tactical is another; both of those give the highest velocity and the best accuracy with Lever at max loads. In the 20 Tactical, I have the rifle's gas adjusted for that one load; no need to use anything else. In the Grendel though, I do use other loads like a 123 ELD and 8208 XBR; at the same gas settings the 129 ABLR/Lever load is seriously overgassed and ruins brass. I solved it with a Bootleg adjustable bolt carrier in that gun; it'd be a good solution for using the 75gr 223 load as well but I haven't got around to buying another yet.