Originally Posted by Mule Deer
jaguartx,

I always thought John Jobson was a very fine writer--and also thought he should have been the shooting columnist for SPORTS AFIELD instead of Pete Brown, who knew a lot technically but whose writing was as dull as gray dirt. Instead Jobson was the camping columnist, where he was better than OK--but his real passion was shooting and hunting.

On the other hand, I cannot remember Jobson writing much about shotgunning either at targets or birds. Back in those days, shooting columnists for the magazines then called The Big Three (FIELD & STREAM, OUTDOOR LIFE and SPORTS AFIELD) were expected to cover it all, whether the shooting involved rifles, shotguns or handguns--or hunting or target-shooting. My guess is Jobson cared most about rifles. Same deal with the Big Three--they tried to cover every aspect of hunting, shooting and fishing--including camping.

Mule Deer, I know you've covered a lot of ground professionally, including being published in Sports Illustrated, National Geographic, and teaching a local writing course, but have you ever written a newspaper article? Just curious.

Seeing the original post about John Wooters writing about rifles in a Houston newspaper column seems odd nowadays, but I'm old enough to remember when guns and hunting were mainstream and seeing displays of rifles and shotguns in JC Penney, Sears, and Montgomery Ward was normal. Our local weekly paper has a sports column, and the writer will still publish the fish and game opening dates and will occasionally feature hunting photos of kids with big bucks.