Originally Posted by Troutcreeks
New to neck sizing.

I re-barreled a Mex Mauser to 250 Savage with minimum headspace. The first 5 pieces of brass I used to check fire function I then neck sized. They chambered, without bullets, fine. They were a bit tight trying to extract however and didn't really pop loose until the bolt bevel hit the receiver extraction cam. They look fine with no discernible markings . Full length sized and unfired brass worked as expected.

Is this usual with neck sized brass?

Thanks

The sized cases chamber fine. The rifle's action is designed to use the camming surface to start the extraction. I'm not seeing a problem.

If on the other hand, the cases chamber fine, but it is hard to get the bolt open, that does not indicate a problem with the brass. It may indicate a problem with the action - perhaps as simple as a bit of grit, a burr, or a stiff mainspring, but there are other possibilities.Have you tried taking the striker assembly out of the bolt and cycling the brass using just the bolt body with extractor?

FWIW I only ever neck size. I like Lee's Collet die for the purpose. I have had batches of brass go literally dozens of loading cycles without FL sizing, in a range of calibres and actions.

A case comes out of the chamber small enough to go right back in again, unless for some reason it is bulged or out of round perhaps. Other than those situations, if it won't go back in after sizing it is because of something you did to it in sizing.