Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You cut off the part about his being commissioned as a navy Lt with no prior service or training. He was a civilian who was just signed up as an officer.

They're commissioned as Ensigns with an 1830 designator (for Intel) and much like Dr's and Nurses that fall under the same sort of promotion, promoted quickly as they achieve quals to 0-3. The ones we had in the squadron were Lt's and all had at least two prior tours but being in the Reserves their tours are obviously not quite as immersive as being on active duty.

The ones I served with were Senior Industry Engineers and Analysts , GS-15 and SES working in the Intel field or staffers in Intel or Cyber in the House/Senate or like Mark, a Representative and then a Senator. Most had Master degree and experience and insights that a regular active duty LT would have never delivered. The DC program is a good one that doesn't cost the Navy much at all for the experienced gained. As I mentioned in my prior post, some are there to serve and proud of it and others look at it as a check in the resume box and there is everything in between.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated