I am one of many Michigan deer hunters that have simultaneously thought of shortening a rifle cartridge to comply with the new relaxed rifle rules allowing deer hunting in the traditional "shotgun zone". I have a Marlin 45-70 w/micro groove rifling, 22" barrel. My thought is to modify the brass without modifying the rifle which I love to use in Michigan's U.P. during firearm deer season. To this end, I have procured some 45 Caliber Speer 400 gr. jacketed SPFN bullets w/dual cannelure that will allow the bullet to be crimped out to maintain close to factory COAL specs with the brass shortened to 1.8" Don't know if this modified cartridge would cycle in the unmodified model 1895 Marlin 45-70 or not but seems worth a try. To repeat, I have no interest in modifying the Marlin rifle because it will still be my "go to" rifle in the U.P. My problem is I cannot figure out a reasonable way to shorten the 45-70 brass to, say, 1.79" (to be on the safe side). I have made phone contact with the DNR office in Lansing, MI and, spoke w/the Lieutenant in charge who was VERY familiar with this concept. Never mind the "Gun Shop Commandos" who claim to know everything about this and say I will be arrested and rifle confiscated, the good Lieutenant assured me that the C.O.'s are knowledgeable and can determine if the modified ammo does comply with the new law or not. Just DO NOT have any factory ammo on your person. Common sense to me. I have many years of reloading rifle and pistol ammo, several thousand rounds/year; mostly pistol ammo for competition. I do not need to load a lot of this shortened 45-70 ammo; just enough to develop a load and sight the rifle in before shootin' season. One at a time by hand is plenty fast enough for me. One perfect solution seemed to be to see if I could special order a shortened RCBS case forming die. They refused for "legal and liability" reasons. No prob I thought just order a 45-70 case forming die and have a machinge shop grind it down to size. Again, no go for the same reasons. Is anyone on 24 Campfire able to give me a clue on how to proceed? Much obliged for any advise and thank you.

Gerry Donovan

No such thing as Ex-Marine, same goes for Postal.......