I recently picked up a Marlin X7 in .30-06, with plans of rebarreling in either .257 Roberts or 6.5x55. Idea was to build a rifle my 11yr old could hunt with next season, which would give us a few months to get comfortable. In the process of deciding on a barrel, ended up snagging another rifle that may put the build on the back burner.

Years ago, I picked up a somewhat odd duck of a rifle, a Mauser M96 straight pull in .25-06. I kept the rifle for a couple years, but ended up getting rid of it. As luck would have it, another one popped up locally, so I am officially back in the .25-06 game. Its not quite a .257 Bob or 6.5x55, but should be perfect with 117-120gr bullets.

I may still end up putting together a 6.5x55, but right now I'm going to start working up a load with the .25-06. This may finally give me a reason to use up the Norma MRP & Reloader 22 I have, I'll just need to order some 117-120gr bullets. I never loaded for the 1st one I had, so I still have a few boxes of commercial ammo to try in the rifle.

What's the general consensus on the .25-06?