This is really hard for me to comment on -

We had a WHD for over 5 years. Got her at about 10 weeks old from the local shelter, if she wasn't a pure-breed, she was within spitting distance. She was already chipped but had to wait until she was almost 6 mo old to have her spayed. She got sick one weekend and our Vet found she had issues with her liver and didn't give her much hope to survive much longer. Started her on a low protein diet and she recovered within a few weeks and then thrived. I made the mistake of leaving our fenced yard gate open long enough to put the mower away and she bolted before I got back to close it. We searched and searched for her with no positive results. The next morning we got a call from the shelter . . . she had been hit and killed by a car on a main street about a half mile from our house. That was just about 2 years ago and it still hurts to even think about her.

Ruby was very quick to learn and extremely loving. She was a house dog until she had a chance to run on her own frown. We had 5 other dogs and they were all really good with the others. Never even had a thought about using her as a squirrel or rabbit hunter or as a tracker, but I have no doubt she could have learned and been good at it.

Sorry to be such a downer - BUT if you get one, you won't regret the decision, even if (s)he is just a house dog !!!

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member