It has been over 20 years since I have done it, but my favorite type of hunting is rabbit hunting behind well-trained beagles on a frosty Kentucky morning. I used to spend every weekend from the weekend after Thanksgiving, and several days of Christmas break, through the end of January in pursuit of cottontails. I liked this type of hunting due to the walking and social activity of it, as well as the fact that the rabbit were plentiful and there were plenty of placed to hunt in my area, including our farm.

I enjoy all types of hunting. Each has its own merits. But the sound of beagles chasing a rabbit back toward an anxiously awaiting hunter is a thrill I do miss.

The only hunting I have done west of the Mississippi was pheasant hunting one time in Kansas when I was in high school in the mid ‘80’s. I hope to do some western antelope, elk, and mule deer hunting at some point in the future. For now, I will continue to enjoy hunting Kentucky white tails, doves, sandhill cranes, turkeys, and squirrels.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan