I bought one and am quite satisfied. Read the specs on their website and you'll see it's not simply a tarted-up standard model; the receiver and bolt are both machined, heat-treated parts. The barrel is secured at two points. The receiver's bedded at the rear. The trigger is the BX, but even that is about a $60 or more upgrade.

Before I bought it, I went through the Midway site and picked out parts with economy in mind and still ended up "spending" more than I paid for the CSC, and the end product would've been a Frankenrifle on a standard cast receiver with a screwed-on scope base. For another $400 or $500, you can get a real custom, which is certainly an option, but I can always spend more to upgrade the CSC if I feel like it. The "bones" are pretty solid as-is.

My only regret is that just after I got mine, they announced the SS model with an un-painted stock at the same price. The paint however, is fine and has some "grip" to it, and the rifle is pretty subdued in appearance, naturally camouflaged.

I paid about the same as you quoted, well under list. I'm still sorting out ammo choices, but it shoots pretty well with a couple types and only has a few hundred through it. Got distracted by some other projects.

What fresh Hell is this?