Thank yous and him for his service.

I'm a "true believer" regards Boy Scouts, but back on point, adult or kid;

-Clothing as totally independent shelter, with enough in your pockets/attached to you, to make a reasonable effort, but your clothes should be adequate for the worst the location and season has demonstrated it's capable of (historical weather records) with the understanding that it can and likely will get worse. Records are made to be broken.

-Past that, sleeping bag, tarp/tent, pad, food and water. Add pot with cover and stove, then the rest...
The sleeping bag can be used with the clothes to lower the temperature of the bag (if their Wiggys), and just this much, will do more to keep you alive than any other prep. If I had to choose 1 out of all the above, it would be my 0 degree or better Wiggys bag. Next a really good pad.

I like and trust Wiggys. It's all I'll use, and Hilleberg tents, best I've found.

ETA: before yous say no to Wiggys, please conduct an experiment with your favorite bag. You and it in a cold shower, and in the most grievous conditions you can find, out onto the driveway or whatever, on your pad, wring out the bag and go to sleep. Please do this close to home, so you can retreat if you get too cold. This simulates a scenario that happens quite frequently, in that you and your bag are wet. I fell asleep in mine.

Last edited by alligator; 03/01/20.