Sheldon and Selous. I received, for Christmas, a copy of The Best of Sheep Hunting. A compilation of stories ranging over a 100 year period, edited by John Batten. As so often happens this led to a list of other writers that I needed to explore the 1st of which was Charles Sheldon, how did I miss him for all these years? I am totally absorbed in The Wilderness of the Upper Yukon. Sheldon's writings are a collection of his journals while hunting from Mexico to Alaska as a member of the U.S. Biological Survey.

I just finished a chapter in which he hunted w/ Selous in the Upper Yukon in Oct. and Nov. of 1904. They shot bears, moose caribou, goats and Dall sheep[Sheldon's primary focus] . They covered a huge amount of virgin country by canoe and did miles daily on foot. A true adventure story beautifully told that describes the abilities and sense of adventure of people that I can only imagine spending time with around a campfire.

I highly recommend it to all w/out reservation, Sheldon's Wilderness of Denali, and Wilderness of the American Southwest await.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC