It has always been a practice among our Mormons to have a two-year supply of staple foods in storage, to prepare for crop failures. I suspect that over the past few decades, that practice has shall we say dwindled. Still, disaster prep and food storage supplies are BIG business here. Hardly anyone does not have a basic 72-hour kit close at hand.

On the other hand, the percentage of Mormon versus others here is steadily and surely sliding towards the "other" side. We have a huge Hispanic population, a surprisingly large Asian population, and a not insignificant share of other/other such as myself who moved here because of work and fall into a completely different demographic than those born here.

In some respects, then, the current panic over things like paper supplies is a bit surprising. I think a lot of it is internet-driven and not a reflection of real necessity. We shrugged off the earthquake this week, as one example. But the spectre of some invisible but contagious nasty plays funny tricks on otherwise rational minds.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.