Originally Posted by MAC
I have taken 4 or 5 yearling bison heifers for meat in WY and MT. I don't really believe there is anywhere on private land that you can "hunt" a bison. Shoot yes, hunt no. To be completely honest they just ain't that smart. Thats how they stacked them up by the millions. If you want to hunt bison then put in for a tag where they still have free ranging herds. AZ, AK and UT come to mind. Sometimes you can get tags to take them after they wander out of Yellowstone but the bunny huggers have been trying to shut that down for years.

Bison are great meat and they provide a neat hide to use but they aren't a real challenge to take no matter how big the piece of private ground is. One of the places in MT that I have taken them off of is over 100,000 acres and the hardest part of that "hunt" was finding them. Once found it is just a matter of closing the distance and dropping them.

Now that is an honest reply.
I killed a 3year old bull back in early 2000s at 4ur ranch in South Dakota where Dances With Wolves was filmed. Was not a hunt at all even though the bison were on 60,000 acres. 3of us killed bulls then went pheasant hunting for a week while they were butchered. I had mine mounted it hangs in my den.