Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I just finished up my first fishing rod build. It came out pretty decent. I ordered a kit off Jan's Netcraft. Came with everything I needed to do the build. I've got a very basic rod building rack and a rod dryer. Thinking I might spin a rod for each of the kids. Gonna be doing some hiking to find some new deer hunting turf before all the snow goes away. I'll definitely keep busy.

Sounds like a good pastime.
Know a guy who makes really nice stuff. It's all in the details.. and now you have time to refine the detail stuff
Enjoy!

It's all in the details is a very accurate statement. This was a test run to see if I could do it. My finger dexterity leaves a bit to be desired these days, but the rod came out pretty good except that I used too much lacquer on the windings. I'll get a finer, better quality brush before I do the next one. I played around with a little custom wrap down by the handle, and it actually came out pretty good. Kind of a criss-cross pattern. I'm gonna do an ultralight for my daughter next, and then a muskie pole for her boyfriend.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla