Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not saying it's right, but here is WDFW's reasoning.

Fishery managers have reported that some anglers have been seen crowding banks as concerns over coronavirus have continued.

“We’ve seen an uptick in outdoor recreation at some locations in recent weeks as people have looked for ways to get outside,” said WDFW Fish Program Director Kelly Cunningham. “We’ve had reports of crowded boat ramps and busy fishing on some rivers, which runs counter to the governor’s direction to stay home and practice social distancing.”

In addition, many salmon and steelhead fisheries require regular monitoring under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), which includes conducting angler interviews at access sites surrounding the state’s marine waters. The on-site, face-to-face nature of angler interviews puts people at potential risk of transmitting the coronavirus. Without such monitoring, these recreational fisheries must close to ensure ESA protections.

They specifically said that:

Hunting seasons currently underway are not impacted by the COVID-19 restrictions at this time. However, please be aware that significant travel is not advised.

Mr T,

Long time no talk online, hope all is going well up there in the Rock. Are you folks shut down at work and doing the job at home thingy? Stay safe.

When I first saw the title of the thread, the protection of their angler contact folks. I'm not saying it's right, and I'd likely just break the rule myself if something nearby was open, uncrowded, and the fish were biting. But, can you imagine the uproar if one or more of their folks caught this virus and it could be shown they contacted a person fishing with the disease?

Another uproar, someone said they could see shutting down the salmon charters because of a crowded situation on the boats. Wow, sure let Joe Schmo fish from the bank but take money out of the recreational fishing charter fleets wallets. There'd be some serious lobbying in the next session of the Legislature by the boat owners for sure.

Biggest problem is folks don't want to take responsibility and fish apart from others. I've seen the combat fishing in some places, someone on page one got it right. Lines get crossed, folks get uppity, next thing they're rollin' around in the mud, then their buddies join in.

hard to make a rule allowing someone to put their little boat out and go out with their wife or kid, and have that rule stop crowds fishing on the bank like a pack of mongrels.

Good luck WA, I foresee silly Gavin here trying, and likely doing, the same thing. Our trout opener is coming up, it would suck, but it may not stop me.

You WA folks, steelhead fishing should be going on now right? let's hope there's a benefit in more spawning escapement, less mortality of "native" fish, and maybe the hatcheries will give away excess returns to you license holder.

Going to be a bummer if this lasts into shad season though. All them folks lined up below John Day will be pissed.

Geno

Yes sir.....glad to see you posting.
How how can you protect one person's rights without stomping on others? It's the eternal question. Gotta make tough decisions sometimes and conspiracy theories will be made, on both sides of the aisle.

We're teleworking as much as we can, but some things we can't do virtually. We're managing though.

Awfully hard to do site visits "online" even with the sat tech available today.

take care,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?