Thanks for everyone’s response. This is going to be a long term project and I’ll be buying a few pounds of different powders some of which I’ve never used. But it looks like we will all have some down time with not a lot to do for the next few months. I hope its less than months but being realistic things are going to be pretty slow for at least another month giving me some time to do a few things and one of those will be loading.

Also, thanks to Mule Deer for giving me the heads up on RL-17. I was told the difference of it and most other powders was that the inhibitors were within its mixture instead of just being dusted on the outside of the powder kernals which is supposed to give it a slower peak pressure. I don’t know as I’m not a chemist or a ballistician but I knew something was giving it a little boost. I didn't realize it was a double base powder. I already have a couple pounds of RL-17 so I can use the money to buy the Ramshot Big Game. I’m excited to try it.

Thinking about having a lower recoiling rifle with almost the same performance as my .270 has me going. I don’t plan to use heavier bullets than 140s in it because I already have a .270, a .280, and a 7 Rem. Mag. for that. However, I’ve had my .270 for over 50 years and have only used bullets heavier than 130 grains a couple of times. My go to bullet in it is a 130 Grain SGK. If I ever use it on elk I’ll load it up with some 150 grain Nosler Partitions. That’s what I use in my .280 Remington and sometimes my 7 Rem. Mag. I’m not a long range hunter so I don’t plan on loading it with anything heavier than 140s..

This is a great forum with lots of knowledge and good people. I’m enjoying it more all the time. Thanks again for your responses.

Last edited by Filaman; 03/30/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!