I'm in India fairly often for work. I doubt they'll ever compete with China for manufacturing. They're one of the most dysfunctional countries I've ever been to, their whole country is mired down by a love of bureaucracy that stifles everything. That's another holdover from the Brits but the Indians took it and ran with it to a whole new level. You can't get into or out of the country without filling out multiple forms that serve no purpose other than provide several bureaucrats jobs reviewing them and affixing their stamps and signatures. In the military we always called the Philippines "the land of the not quite right", I call India that also. They just aren't capable of getting things together and making their society function in an orderly manner.

I'm in China often for work too and they're a pain in the ass to deal with but things function. They might not function to a westerners satisfaction, but things work the way the Chinese intend them to work. They get things done because the average Chinese knows he'll disappear and his kidneys will be sold on the black market if he doesn't toe the line. The heavy hand of the Chinese government makes things work whether the people like it or not.

India isn't like that, nothing works like it's supposed to in India.