The food is already paid for, much is already in the kitchens and the rest is being delivered anyway. They do long term contracts with food suppliers and much of it is government surplus. The staff is being paid regardless. If they don't give it away it will be trashed. Our local system does it Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My son-in-law takes my 3 grandkids each of those days and they get enough to feed the whole family for a day or 2 each time. It is drive through style, they bring a bag of food out in a paper sack. They've been getting 1/2 gal of milk, (all in the 1/2 pint containers), a loaf of bread and other stuff that is not cooked. It is meant to take home and cook.

There are several other places where free food is available, or has been. I'm guessing some local restaurants have reached the point where they have food in stock that needs to be eaten or trashed soon. It is good PR to just give it away. Everything in GA is take out or drive thru only now anyway. Some restaurants work well like that, others not so. All Waffle House's of all places is closed until further notice.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.