Omeprazole is a PPI or proton pump inhibitor. So is Nexium. Nexium is actually the same thing as Prilosec (omeprazole) made by the same company Astra-Zeneca. Prilosec was going off patent, so they came out with the "purple pill", made a very minute change, and named it Nexium. It had another 20 year patent. That's how you don't lose the market on a $6bb drug.

Proton pump inhibitors block the parietal cells production of acid in the stomach lining. Most often prescribed for GERD, stomach ulcers, and erosive esophagitus which can lead to Barrett's (cancer). Recent finding link it to dementia and kidney disease. I've been on it for 20 years. I may rethink that strategy, but it works for me. I can eat just about anything and it keeps my ph in balance so I don't wake up choking on battery acid. Of course, a small hiatal hernia doesn't help either.

H2 blockers like ranitidine (Zantac) and famotidine(Pepcid) along with cimetidine (Tagamet) are histamine blockers and aren't as strong or work as fast as PPI. Zantac has been on the market for 40 years. It was the number selling rx drug for a few years in the 80's.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin