I'll tell you my experience hunting whitetails with the 32-20.

I originally bought an old, very well used Savage Model 23-C . I bought this rifle to hunt a few areas that were very close to civilization, more like a bow hunting patches. I don't bow hunt.

The first deer I shot in the lungs at a bout 40 yds. The buck ran of course and I found one pin drop of blood. I moved the deer out of some thick brush and a hunter close by shot him (thank God) within 3 minutes.

The second deer was a few days later at 50 feet. I took a neck shot and dropped the deer right there , dead. Bullet did not fully penetrate. I was using 100 gr Hornady XTP's.

The third deer was at about 80 yards. I shot the doe in the neck and it nearly did a back flip and laid motionless. As I approached her, within 25 yards she got up and ran. I think I shot her 3 more times in the lungs until she laid down down 60 yards away. My 357 magnum revolver ended her life.

I don't shoot deer with a 32-20 anymore. If it's a survival thing and that's all you've got, a neck or head shot close range will do I guess but there's many more ethical calibers to choose from otherwise.

Dan