Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As a society we are not developing young people who are tough and resilient.

Lots of young people, especially guys, are tough and resilient. We just have women running a lot more things now.

Agreed.

My son is a good kid. Mentally tough, hard charger and went from e1 to e4 in the Army in 18 months. Is EXACTLY the type of person you want serving and as an NCO. He's getting out ASAP because of how phoucked up senior leadership is, primarily female but across the board - it's not great.

My time in the military and corporate world - too often the very best get into a place, realize it's fubar beyond what they're willing to do or able to do and they cut tape and bail.

Not ALL obviously but way too many. It's how you end up with the mess to begin with. Peter principle drives out the good ones.

My recent college grad. nephew is a Junior Grade Officer in the Military, he is mentally tough and in much better shape physically than the Army requires him to be. He was just down here for a few weeks training. While we were riding in his car he took a call from one of his peers, a female who apparently has the hots for him. It sounded like he was talking to a sorority girl discussing their upcoming deployment

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744