I use a sort of a home-made box call, but I didn't make it.

About 45 years ago, I was living in Jasper, TX. The local Parks and Wildlife biologist showed up at my home one evening with an old cedar fence post that he had found. By old, I mean well aged and dried--an unusual find in deep East Texas. He said that it would make great turkey calls, but had no way to cut it like he needed. I had him give me the dimensions he wanted.

One of my uncles was a retired petroleum engineer who had a retirement home over on Toledo Bend Reservoir, and he had a completely equipped wood shop. I took it over and we cut around a dozen blanks out the heart of that old fence post. I could tell that he really wanted one of those turkey calls, but he was too polite to ask. I took the blanks back to my friend Billy, and told him that I needed two calls out of the deal.

Several months later, Billy brought me back two finely crafted, hand-finished box calls. I took one back to my Uncle Bill and showed him how to use it. He was not a hunter, but to his great delight, he did call several turkeys into his yard.

I have used mine to call turkeys in Texas, Kansas, Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico. The sound just seems to get better every year!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...