Originally Posted by UPhiker
I work in a gunshop that specializes (like most these days) in plastic pistols and black rifles. It has a "cool" tactical sounding name, too. I'm 60 years old and miss the "good ole days" when people bought guns when they were fun. I know the need for the 2nd Amendment and its defense but so many getting into guns nowadays only see it as a defensive tool for dire situations. They don't appreciate walnut, bluing, a nice over-under or a good target .22. It's depressing. They actually think that cheap plastic stocks and cerakote are "better". Two years ago when I bought a Remington Model 7 with a laminated stock, I was asked why I didn't get a Ruger American. It goes on, and on... Rant over.
Personally, I like both. I love my Dad, may he RIP, but many of his generation certainly didn't "get" the need for black guns and would tell you so gladly. They also in many if not most cases, had no problem at all with the .gov banning them...IMO simply because they personally didn't like their looks. Vietnam and the distrust of the government was partially the cause of that changing and the guns themselves changed the attitudes of younger dudes too. Now probably, a Mini 14 with the classic hardwood stock of ye olden time periods would be seen by many of them as a "Boomer's gun". Maybe the next firearms will be Phase Plasma Rifle in 40 Watt range. I dunno. I do know that more folks are much more aware of their gun rights and generally into guns, than they were when I was a kid.