Home
Posted By: UPhiker Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I work in a gunshop that specializes (like most these days) in plastic pistols and black rifles. It has a "cool" tactical sounding name, too. I'm 60 years old and miss the "good ole days" when people bought guns when they were fun. I know the need for the 2nd Amendment and its defense but so many getting into guns nowadays only see it as a defensive tool for dire situations. They don't appreciate walnut, bluing, a nice over-under or a good target .22. It's depressing. They actually think that cheap plastic stocks and cerakote are "better". Two years ago when I bought a Remington Model 7 with a laminated stock, I was asked why I didn't get a Ruger American. It goes on, and on... Rant over.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Understood, but have a drink, relax and enjoy what you own. Interests change, and sometimes, grow. Guys buying plastic stuff today may buy wood/blue tomorrow.
Posted By: antlers Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...? Or the semi-auto pistol that had a knife mounted on it...?

lol
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by antlers
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...?

lol
They just came out with a Shockwave version of it. The sad thing is that it's popular... frown
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Remember that Mossberg pump that had a chainsaw handle on it...? Or the semi-auto pistol that had a knife mounted on it...?

lol

I remember sthose Mossbergs and also eeing a mount for a Glock rail with a small bayonet on it at a Gunshow several years ago. I LMAO.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Maybe people don't want to damage the nice looking blue/wood guns so they don't buy them.
Nothing wrong with Ruger American Rifles though.
For a cheap rifle they flat out shoot very accurately.
My Predator in 6.5 CM and RAR in 7.62x39 that uses Mini-30 magazines are super accurate and make great 4-wheel guns.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Maybe young doods like the bad girl instead of the well-mannered one you take home to Mom.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards. The bargain racks at most gun shops and virtually all pawnshops are filled to overflowing with the high quality wood and blue steel rifles I couldn't afford to buy when they were new! I walked out of a pawn shop just east of Memphis with a scoped, sporterized US 1917 chambered in 300 H&H Magnum with a vintage Reinhardt Fajen stock (NOT the junk they produced after Potterfield bought the company) for less than $300.00 awhile back! That's one of several bargain rack custom guns I've acquired for chump change!
Jerry
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I work in a gunshop that specializes (like most these days) in plastic pistols and black rifles. It has a "cool" tactical sounding name, too. I'm 60 years old and miss the "good ole days" when people bought guns when they were fun. I know the need for the 2nd Amendment and its defense but so many getting into guns nowadays only see it as a defensive tool for dire situations. They don't appreciate walnut, bluing, a nice over-under or a good target .22. It's depressing. They actually think that cheap plastic stocks and cerakote are "better". Two years ago when I bought a Remington Model 7 with a laminated stock, I was asked why I didn't get a Ruger American. It goes on, and on... Rant over.
Personally, I like both. I love my Dad, may he RIP, but many of his generation certainly didn't "get" the need for black guns and would tell you so gladly. They also in many if not most cases, had no problem at all with the .gov banning them...IMO simply because they personally didn't like their looks. Vietnam and the distrust of the government was partially the cause of that changing and the guns themselves changed the attitudes of younger dudes too. Now probably, a Mini 14 with the classic hardwood stock of ye olden time periods would be seen by many of them as a "Boomer's gun". Maybe the next firearms will be Phase Plasma Rifle in 40 Watt range. I dunno. I do know that more folks are much more aware of their gun rights and generally into guns, than they were when I was a kid.
I'll tell you what too...a Garand would be better than a lot of guns in a bad situation, but if the SHTF I'd rather have a bare-bones AR than ANY 2x4 handling Garand, six days a week and twice on Sunday.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

Good rant.
Posted By: antlers Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
In 1979 at the Walmart in Norman, Oklahoma they had Ruger Mini-14’s on sale for $188.00; I bought three of em’. Back then they had the wooden hand guards on em’.
Ethan, you misunderstand. I own my share of Glocks and ARs and understand the need for them. It's just that so many don't consider guns as an enjoyable hobby. It's all "life or death" to them. Almost none hunt. They get their ARs and do mag dumps at 15yds and think they're "cool". When I talk about shooting high power at 600yds, they aren't interested and act like I'm speaking a foreign language. It's just frustrating.
In 1979 at the Walmart in Norman, Oklahoma they had Ruger Mini-14’s on sale for $188.00; I bought three of em’. Back then they had the wooden hand guards on em’.
Walmart has been in and out of the gun business so many times it's hard to keep up with what they've had or haven't had. Honestly, I was still in high school then and seldom went to Walmart as our county was about a decade off of having one. They had one in the next county though, but I seldom went there. I bought my first Mini from a semi-local gunstore probably two or three years after that. It was stainless with a wooden stock and still had the wooden handguards such as you describe. Beautiful gun. Not too long after you buying yours and IIRC the price was a hundred dollars higher than that, at least. Of course it was stainless though and those had very recently hit the shelves.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I'll tell you what too...a Garand would be better than a lot of guns in a bad situation, but if the SHTF I'd rather have a bare-bones AR than ANY 2x4 handling Garand, six days a week and twice on Sunday.

I own both. One for the history and one for the utility. The thing is, they don't know what a Garand is capable of, and don't care. You can't shoot it in a tactical crouch with your left hand up near the muzzle.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards. The bargain racks at most gun shops and virtually all pawnshops are filled to overflowing with the high quality wood and blue steel rifles I couldn't afford to buy when they were new! I walked out of a pawn shop just east of Memphis with a scoped, sporterized US 1917 chambered in 300 H&H Magnum with a vintage Reinhardt Fajen stock (NOT the junk they produced after Potterfield bought the company) for less than $300.00 awhile back! That's one of several bargain rack custom guns I've acquired for chump change!
Jerry

Man everytime I see a cool classic gun advertised for trade the only thing the seller is looking for is tactical guns. A lot of guys dont want cash right now they want an AR or a Glock. If I had some tactical stuff right now I could trade into some really great classic deer rifles.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Remington 870 Police for me.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I just sold my last AR a few weeks ago. I can't stand them. Give me a lever action 357 for self defense and I'm fine. I don't plan on dying in a firefight.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I love it! those same plastic gun lovers are selling grandpa's guns that they inherited for pennies on the dollar so they can buy boring Tupperware junk that can't keep a group inside a 5-gallon bucket at 100 yards.
Jerry

I own numerous guns of the Tupperware variety and none of them would match that description, even my Mini-14 will do better than that. The modern Tupperware guns being produced currently are some of the most accurate factory guns ever produced. And I also have several of the wood and steel variety.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I’m a grumpy bastard because I can’t find a gloss scope anymore.

matte matte matte

My deersticks are all-weather, stainless and ‘tupperware’. They have to be to clank on every steel step and iron cheese grater metal in my stands.

If I’m gonna ease down behind the house and sit on the ground and behave, I‘ll take blue and walnut.

And who still knows what a damn cheese grater is? Little fat face kids with their already shredded store-bought cheddar. You worked up an appetite doing the cheese and setting the table.
Now the meal IS that bag.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I just sold my last AR a few weeks ago. I can't stand them. Give me a lever action 357 for self defense and I'm fine. I don't plan on dying in a firefight.

I haven't been able to cotton to them either. My son is good with them but he's in the military.
Originally Posted by slumlord

matte matte matte

My deersticks are all-weather, stainless and ‘tupperware’. They have to be to clank on every steel step and iron cheese grater metal in my stands.

If I’m gonna ease down behind the house and sit on the ground and behave, I‘ll take blue and walnut.

And who still knows what a damn cheese grater is? Little fat face kids with their already shredded store-bought cheddar. You worked up an appetite doing the cheese and setting the table.

Yup. I like a gloss scope on a classic rifle.
Originally Posted by moosemike

I haven't been able to cotton to them either. My son is good with them but he's in the military.

Yea, like this .357 winchester layin the recliner beside my chair right now? 👍

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I could get into that. But I do prefer Marlins.
They’re in the spare bedroom right now lol

I’m not gettin up
Might be a 99 around here, fireball will tell ya😃
Posted By: Torqued Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I don't own an AR. Just don't like the looks of them,don't care how good they shoot. I like a nice mini 14 or 30 in lumber. For that matter any rifle with good quality wood or synthetic. Fugg the tuperware. Have a closet full of that crap I have removed from rifles thru the years.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
A .357 lever action wants to be a .45 LC when it grows up! Henry makes some nice ones.
Jerry
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by Torqued
I don't own an AR. Just don't like the looks of them,don't care how good they shoot. I like a nice mini 14 or 30 in lumber. For that matter any rifle with good quality wood or synthetic. Fugg the tuperware. Have a closet full of that crap I have removed from rifles thru the years.

Please explain the difference between "synthetic" and "Tupperware".
A .357 lever action wants to be a .45 LC when it grows up! Henry makes some nice ones.
Jerry

Do they make one of those in 450 marlin?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I've got a little of everything hands on the ramen the reason what I prefer the best I've all got a place to matter of personal opinion I want just got to learn whatever he prefers to set it up for his usability nobody else
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

That'll work, but mines a Browning 92.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've got a little of everything hands on the ramen the reason what I prefer the best I've all got a place to matter of personal opinion I want just got to learn whatever he prefers to set it up for his usability nobody else

Again, in English?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I like the classic look. A stainless with a study "handle", is fine as well.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
i dig both for different reasons. i regularly hunt with some of my 100 y/o remington pumps but the weather has to be right. took my '65 760 carbine '06 out the last day here in PA and it was a downpour. luckily a nice 8pt made the mistake of turning at the last minute mid-morning. the 760's stock was white when i got back to camp. i hung that gun muzzle down and it dripped for an hour. felt kind of bad but then again, its no safe queen and has seen plenty of those kind of days. if the weather is crap, my go-to is a ruger 77 frontier in 338 fed. stainless, laminate and vinyl sling. if they ever get their schit together in this state and allow semi auto rifles for deer hunting, i will most likely get something like a 350 legend AR. the older i get, the more i appreciate a light rifle and AR's carry nice. nothing like an AR to blap off a few hundred rounds out back either.
Posted By: JPro Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Looking in my gun room, I’m about half on synthetic/stainless/laminate/AR/poly-frame stuff and the other half is walnut/blue/lever/gloss stuff. It’s acceptable to appreciate both. Some of the newer stuff has very little character, but makes for great tools when you don’t want to abuse your blued steel items.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Craftsman is made in China now and people prefer Harbor Freight over most everything.

Just a means to an end apparently.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I like my AR and my Glock 19, but have a Cold Detective Special for back up, and own a 92 Trapper in .45 Colt, and my Wife has a Browning 92 in .357

We've got the best of both worlds.

Virgil B.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
i own plenty beautiful blue-wood rifles and i would never sell them they are fun to shoot. i really prefer just a single shot Ruger #1 s.s./ laminate stock rifle to big game hunt with. but at home for defense my pump 12 gauge/plastic stock and buck shot is what i grab first, my second line of defense is a AR -15 223 , third line of defense is a revolver 357 mag.,after that i guess i get put in a body bag.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by 19352012
Maybe people don't want to damage the nice looking blue/wood guns so they don't buy them.

Too true. I’ve two safe queens waiting for the grandsons to get their own places.

Beautiful to look at but I couldn’t enjoy hunting with them unless I just adopted a f’k it attitude on it.

Stainless or blued and composite works best for me. It’s a tool after all.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Having Chinese for dinner tonight, I see. It's a bit under-cooked.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Having Chinese for dinner tonight, I see. It's a bit under-cooked.

That’s DD’s bat catcher.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
When my dad and his brothers grew up in the 30s and 40s they didn’t buy guns for fun either. It’s just the sign of the times.
Posted By: memtb Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Personally, I love a beautiful Walnut stocked, richly blued classic firearm.....no “gaudy” engraving or outrageous cheek piece designs. But, I want a firearm to use, not set in a fancy gun case to look at. I can’t afford and wouldn’t if I could afford, to purchase a beautiful piece of art... to “use” it in the field. A quality, synthetic stocked, stainless steel rifle is simply superior in hunting applications....especially adverse hunting conditions. And....if using them in adverse conditions, they group better and hold their zero better than most wood stocked. The same with my truck, it was bought to use......not drive the boulevard on Sunday evening to impress others! JMO. memtb
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

+1
Originally Posted by Pat85
When my dad and his brothers grew up in the 30s and 40s they didn’t buy guns for fun either. It’s just the sign of the times.

So they never had a .22 for "killing" cans? It was a way of practicing marksmanship, but it was fun, too. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's just a sign of the times". Times wer much tougher back in the 60s and early 70s than they are today. You had widespread antiwar protests and the riots in Detroit, Newark, Watts and the rest were much worse than anything that's happened in Ferguson or Baltimore. Yet, people didn't have the fake fear that they have nowadays. Half of our customers are wannabe operators. They don't shoot an AR, they run an AR platform, and on, and on.
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
The marketing says a lot about the attitudes...
Love me those old Winchester ads.
Right up there with the "only in a jeep" ads.
Values were different,
The speed of life was different.
Nothing like an ammo shortage to make people appreciate precision vs volume..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

So they never had a .22 for "killing" cans? It was a way of practicing marksmanship, but it was fun, too. Half of our customers are wannabe operators. They don't shoot an AR, they run an AR platform, and on, and on.

"Having fun" was viewed as being at least slothful, if not actually criminal, long after that by those from that era. Catch and release fishing was so alien a concept as to cause terrible headaches when encountered.

Again, in English?

Posted By: ribka Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Jerry

And Some $300 rifles can keep 5 shots in gal jug at 500 yards now.
In Tn, men used a .22 rifles for killin hogs, don’t need no marksmanship skills in a hog lot. Just some white bread.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
When I hear someone talk about "running" a rifle, I think they don't know the difference between rifles and sewing machines.
So many people seem to be missing my point that I guess I'll just put it bluntly---so many people think that the only use of firearms is to kill other people.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

matte matte matte

You makin' pimento-cheese sammies up in the stand?
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Two things. First tastes change. There was a time when people appreciated the artistry and craftsmanship in a firearm. This is easy to see in the "Golden Age" of muzzle loaders with it's various schools For craftsmanship, Uncle Franny who took up gunsmiths after WWII was well respected for his polishing ans bluing jobs. Others were famous for stock work like flawless checkering which you know isn't easy if you've ever tried it.

Today people are drawn to tacticool. Anything that makes you look more dangerous and more macho (now there;s a dated term) than the next guy.
Craftsman shop? CAD/CAM everything, craftsmanship is all in the geeks that designed the electronics.

Secondly it's a function of history. Firearm,s technology was first applied to military arms. The civilian market followed with former service men wanting what they experienced in the service. Bolt action displaced lever actions and trapdoors and falling blocks after Mausers came out. Autoloaders were a novelty before people experienced the Garand. So now we're experiencing the effect coming from Stoner's dream (nightmare)..

Personally I prefer a firearm that is aesthetically pleasing to look at in the classic sense as well as functional. Not one that is merely functional.
Posted By: drover Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I am conflicted - the best of both worlds

drover
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by drover

drover

I can live with that. (Chambering?)
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I like both.

Walked into a gunshow with a century AK, walked out with the Savage.
So many people seem to be missing my point that I guess I'll just put it bluntly---so many people think that the only use of firearms is to kill other people.

Only when the hunting seasons are closed! wink memtb
Originally Posted by 5sdad

drover

I’ve seen the SS Featherweight in a laminate stock....Now that’s beautiful and function! memtb
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
I don't run my ARs anymore but I do frequently take them out for a walk and tactically slay coyotes w/ them.

My guns are tools that I enjoy using. Practicing frequently w/ them is fun w/ a purpose. My hunting rifles are dependable, accurate and well cared for but not extensions of my ego or decorations. I fully understand the fascinations of others for fine guns but get tired of hearing about how others are lesser beings for having different tastes or uses.

Talk of spray and pray and running a platform and tactical timmies is reminiscent of Joe Biden giving advice on home defense...or any other topic.

YMMV

mike r
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Curling up to black plastic is like kissing my dog after he licked his ass. sick
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Jerry

^^^^^
This
I have found my share of gems.
Little work on em
Gtg.

Also have buck rodgers things.

More walnut and blue stuff though.

They all are tool,s for their own purpose.
Take care of your tools
They will last then beyond your lifespan.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I don't run my ARs anymore but I do frequently take them out for a walk and tactically slay coyotes w/ them.

My guns are tools that I enjoy using. Practicing frequently w/ them is fun w/ a purpose. My hunting rifles are dependable, accurate and well cared for but not extensions of my ego or decorations. I fully understand the fascinations of others for fine guns but get tired of hearing about how others are lesser beings for having different tastes or uses.

Talk of spray and pray and running a platform and tactical timmies is reminiscent of Joe Biden giving advice on home defense...or any other topic.

YMMV

mike r

Bam!!!!
Word....
Posted By: 700LH Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

So they never had a .22 for "killing" cans? It was a way of practicing marksmanship, but it was fun, too. I'm not sure what you mean by "it's just a sign of the times". Times wer much tougher back in the 60s and early 70s than they are today. You had widespread antiwar protests and the riots in Detroit, Newark, Watts and the rest were much worse than anything that's happened in Ferguson or Baltimore. Yet, people didn't have the fake fear that they have nowadays. Half of our customers are wannabe operators. They don't shoot an AR, they run an AR platform, and on, and on.

No, and would sometimes split a box of 22 longs to go rabbit hunting, longs were cheaper.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Curling up to black plastic is like kissing my dog after he licked his ass. sick

I will just take your word on thatgrin

mike r

drover

Good one there! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Posted By: justin10mm Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

drover

Good one there! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

I don't even care that it's gay.

Posted By: 79S Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

Watch out you are regular old reincarnation of Chuck Connors do we call You the “rifleman” ?

Then why didn't you say that at the beginning?
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

HUH? lol
Posted By: drover Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20
Originally Posted by 5sdad

drover

243 Win and a Leupold M8 6x36 (Oh! The Horror).

drover
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Just A Rant... - 04/05/20

And they are voting too. 😁😆
© 24hourcampfire