Originally Posted by Rick99
Might want to check the cost of dies and steps to reform whatever wildcat round you are looking at.

It's a fairly popular wildcat among Martini loonies. CH-4D makes dies, $109 for two die set or $82 for just the sizer (I can seat with my .22 Vickerman universal straightline seater). PTG makes the reamer. Brass is out here to be had, and if intermediate forming dies are needed, well, it wouldn't be the first time I cobbled stuff like that together- a bridge to be crossed when I get there.

The same case necked down to .30 would make a dandy .30 caliber cast bullet shooter too, methinks. Perhaps a two-barrel set, with takedown capability? With a nice fitted case to hold them. Hmmm....

The .357 Max is neat in its own right but presents problems in original form in getting it to make the turn down and into the Martini chamber- hence the proclivity for necking it down. The shape of the wildcat gives it that little bit of an edge in defeating that issue.

Such a beast obviously wouldn't have an auxiliary shotgun barrel slung under it, but I never felt the need for such a combo. And since I'm not a collector hell-bent on amassing a complete Savage collection I just don't want any. More power to those who do!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty